Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Missed opportunity

So today I went to a friend's b-day dinner out in the west end. Had Schezwan food at a place on W. 10th Ave. When I left the restaurant, the Fuzzball (a.k.a. the bf) smiled at me and gestured to the right of him. 2 stores down was Urban Yarns. I can't believe I missed the store completely as I went into the restaurant. Le sigh. I guess it was a good thing that the store closed at 5:30pm so there wasn't another chance for me to cheat on my 'yarn diet'.

What is this 'yarn diet' that I'm talking about? Well, it's a self-imposed restriction of buying yarn for the rest of this year (with the exception of emergency project yarn and vacation yarn). After the little 'yarn accident' at a fave LYS (local yarn store) during their belated boxing day sale, I realized I have more yarn in my stash than I have time to knit. While one never discloses the actual size of their stash, I can say that I have enough yarn to last me for quite some time. Thus, the self-imposed yarn diet so that I could reduce some of my stash weight.

Unfortunately, a trip to the same LYS with the sole purpose of buying a ball winder resulted in me cheating on my yarn diet. Going into a yarn store (with yummy yarns and sales) unsupervised is very dangerous, especially since I haven't fed my yarn stash for over 3 months. The damage wasn't too bad, nothing my credit card couldn't handle. Now before I get the whole "tsk tsk" from those who read this blog, I will say this: It was 50% off and it was 100% silk and 100% cotton. At least it's not more sock yarn.

I hope that there will be no more moments of weakness during the rest of the year. I'll be going to the Victoria Fibre Festival / Knit Out this year with my friend Jay and I'll be putting a budget as to much I can spend on yarn at this festival. I know I won't be able to resist the variety of hand-dyed, hand-spun, artisan yarns so instead of splurging, I'll be limiting myself to a budget. So with that and vacation yarn (yarn that is bought while out of town), I think I'll be good for the rest of the year.

2 comments:

Balancing The Scales said...

If you want to stay on budget for the knit out then you would be advised to just give me your baggie of cash and leave all credit cards at home :P

We just will not talk about my budget, or lack thereof.

Mina said...

tsk, tsk.

You know I was going to do it. Who am I to disappoint? ;)